- Encouragement letters can have a very powerful effect on others. The perfect letter may express sincere support and inspire others to accomplish great things.
- When writing letters of encouragement, keep the tone positive, and focus on what has been or can be achieved. Avoid direct or implied criticism. Your goal is to give hope or express how much you care.
- Encouragement is most needed after a disappointment or setback, and written encouragement can be very powerful in these circumstances. It gives the reader something to keep, share, and review.
- Demonstrate a tone of genuine appreciation in your encouragement letter.
- Be careful to avoid strong language that might discourage readers.
- Offer your reader help if assistance is appropriate and genuinely available.
- A good time to encourage your reader is after he or she has successfully completed a task. The written word has a motivational power that casual comments do not have, and a positive letter can motivate the reader to even higher standards of excellence.
Unleash Your Creativity With The Power to Brainstorm
by Melvin J. Luthy PhD, Chief Editor
Sample encouragement letters
- Encourage an employee after a disappointment or a company setback
- Encourage/motivate your reader to increase sales
- Encourage/motivate your reader to keep up the good work
- Encourage your reader to take advantage of a new opportunity
Topics related to encouragement letters
- Advocate legislation
- Offer a suggestion to a religious leader
- Offer a suggestion to a supplier or retailer
- Recommend a course of action or support a decision or policy change
- Sell a seminar or conference
- Suggest a change in a contract or agreement
- Write a letter of encouragement/motivation
- Write a letter to persuade an editor or the public on an issue
- Write a persuasive letter
- Write a persuasive letter to a government official
- Write a persuasive memo to an employee or colleague
- Write an insurance sales letter
Still can't find the right words for your encouragement letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the encouragement letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective encouragement letter.
- Print your encouragement letter and send it!